Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Johnny Mnemonic

My first read through of Johnny Mnemonic was a someone confused one; In the daze of being asked to read a story at 9 in the morning, I had a hard time following every detail of the story. I read through the entire piece, and followed the developments of major character and locals, but had a hard time grasping some of the secondary characters and the environment. This was in part due to my sleep depression, but also in part due to the writing style. The pace at which the story moves is pleasing for a short work; and slower and the piece might as well be constructed into a novel, yet any faster and the story would reach the point of incomprehensibility. This being said though, despite the appropriate pacing of the story, the shear amount of detail Gibson wrote into the story made it fast to keep up with the pace the story was progressing. Much of the information portrayed belonged to a completely foreign universe; that of the cyberpunk realm. Due to how unfamiliar I was with the subject matter, and the pace at which Gibson presented cyberpunk idea's, I frequently got bogged down by these fresh ideas, and found myself glossing over crucial paragraphs at a time due to my inability to process some particularly busy sentences.

That being said, I just reread Johnny Mnemonic, and found it much more enjoyable the second time around. The busy sentences and paragraphs brimming with content that I found cumbersome during my first read through provide a great expanse of material to explore upon more thorough examinations. The end result is a vibrant and original universe full of new characters, environments, and ways of thought. After hearing of our protagonists adventure through Night town, I find myself yearning to explore this grungy metropolis. Its ghetto atmosphere and urban aesthetic makes me recall nostalgically the locals of my childhood, and I have to wish that a developer had made Johnny Mnemonic into a video game so I may explore in greater depth the world of Gibson's Cyberpunk.

No comments:

Post a Comment