Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Frankenstein

Marry Shelly’s classic titled offered some interesting insight as the first title in the literature of horror and science fiction class. What I find very interesting is that this title, while an iconic representation of the horror genre, doesn’t remotely portray the contemporary view on horror literature. One cannot, however, anticipate modern horror from early 1800’s literature.

I began reading this story with some expectations of the so called, origin on modern horror. I was anticipating a fast paced ride involving gruesome deaths (complete with gory descriptions), and more suspense. In short, I found the book surprisingly devoid of either suspenseful elements or visceral thrills. By todays standards I feel like the story played out more like a drama than a work of horror.

Another thing I found interesting was that there wasn't as much of a clear cut definition between monster and man, hero and villain. In the end, after hearing Frankenstein's monster's story about his attempt at integrating himself into the household of the family he spied on, I began to get the feeling that Frankenstein's monster was as much a victim as his creator, if not more so. I found it particularly shocking that Frankenstein would destroy his monsters bride; his only escape from a life of loneliness. After that event, I began to lose pity for Frankenstein. It felt as though all the suffering that had befallen him was deserved; he had the means to end his own suffering, to appease the monster and bring his family to safety. I was rather angered with Frankenstein when, after being informed that his monster only wanted a bride, he proceeded to take a rather lengthy vacation while his family members waited at the mercy of his vengeful monster. I was really pleased that even with this early crack at horror, Shelly avoided a clear cut, this is evil, this is good, portal of morality and of villains. Her characters are nuanced, and illustrate believable characters who's morality lie in a gray area instead of being completely good or completely evil. I see often time in modern literature or film that authors will try to imbue a sense of grittiness to their protagonists, or conversely a likability to their villains. I find Shelly's technique much more interesting; Frankenstein isn't obviously a good guy with a few flaws; in the end it is impossible to distinguish whether or not Frankenstein aligns more within good or evil.

No comments:

Post a Comment